Proper Brushing and flossing are ways to maintain an excellent oral condition. Though professional cleaning removes plaques, tartar build-up, and debris, good home oral care is equally valuable. With proper brushing and flossing, a person can enhance their smile, maintain optimum oral health, and prevent future oral diseases. Here at St. Helena Studio of Aesthetic Dentistry, we provide proper brushing and flossing tips to guide people on how to have proper oral care.
The goal of brushing is to remove plaques and bacteria in the mouth. One is advised to brush their teeth twice a day ideally in the morning and night. The ideal toothbrush is small, and soft-rounded end bristled to access all the areas in the mouth. Removing plaques by brushing is essential to reduce the risk of cavity build-up that can cause oral diseases. Proper brushing should be observed to achieve optimum dental health. Here are the steps on how to properly brush your teeth.
- Place the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle along the gumline where it meets the teeth.
- Gently brush the gum line and teeth in a circular motion.
- Avoid scrubbing or do not apply too much pressure to the teeth, since it can damage the gums and tooth enamel.
- Make sure to brush every surface of the tooth, tongue-side, cheek-side, and chewing surfaces. Place particular emphasis on the surfaces of the back teeth.
- Use back and forth strokes when brushing the chewing surfaces.
- Brush the tongue to remove bacteria, and food debris.
Flossing is a great way to remove plaques, and food debris stuck in between teeth. It limits the depth of gum pockets and prevents periodontal disease. Interdental Regions are areas in the mouth which is difficult to reach with a toothbrush that’s why a dental floss is used to clean such areas. Here are the steps on how to floss correctly.
- Cut dental floss to around 18 inches long.
- Wrap the ends of the floss around the middle finger of each hand until the hands are 2-3 inches apart.
- Work the floss gently between the gumline and the teeth.
- Curve the floss in a U-shape around each tooth and gently slide it under the gum line.
- Gently move the floss up and down a few times to eliminate plaques and debris in between teeth.
- Avoid popping the dental floss in and out between the teeth as this cut the gums and increase the risk of inflammation.
Importance of Proper Brushing and Flossing
- Prevent Tooth Decay
- Reduce the Risk of Periodontal Disease
- Avoid Halitosis
- Prevent Teeth Stain and Discoloration
- Maintain Good Oral Condition
- Healthy and White Teeth
Proper Brushing and Flossing is essential in preventing oral disease. Secure a healthy mouth by good oral home care practice.
Get healthy and cavity-free teeth with Proper Brushing and Flossing in St. Helena. You can visit us at St. Helena Studio of Aesthetic Dentistry for dental instructions. We are located at 1510 Railroad Ave St. Helena, California 94574.